#159 ✓hold
csoler

idevicerestore + iPodTouch 1G = can't enter recovery mode

Reported by csoler | July 11th, 2010 @ 09:54 PM

I tried to git clone and compile idevicerestore, but it's not working with my iPodTouch 1G:

sudo ./src/idevicerestore -c ~/Desktop/iPod1,1_3.1.3_7E18_Restore.ipsw [sudo] password for csoler: Found device in Normal mode
Identified device as iPod1,1
Extracting BuildManifest from IPSW
Extracting filesystem from IPSW
[==================================================] 100.0% Entering recovery mode...
ERROR: Unable to connect to device in recovery mode
Segmentation fault

sudo ./src/idevicerestore -d ~/Desktop/iPod1,1_3.1.3_7E18_Restore.ipsw Found device in Normal mode
Identified device as iPod1,1
Extracting BuildManifest from IPSW
Extracting filesystem from IPSW
[==================================================] 100.0% Entering recovery mode...
Retrying connection...
Retrying connection...
Retrying connection...
Retrying connection...
Retrying connection...
Retrying connection...
Retrying connection...
Retrying connection...
Retrying connection...
ERROR: Unable to connect to device in recovery mode
Segmentation fault

Comments and changes to this ticket

  • Martin S.

    Martin S. July 12th, 2010 @ 12:47 PM

    • State changed from “new” to “open”
    • Tag set to ios 1.1.5, ipod touch, 1g, idevicerestore, ipsw, restore

    Which version of idevicerestore from which repository did you exactly use?
    The bugtracker for this is http://github.com/posixninja/idevicerestore/issues but I will try to see if we can help anyways.

    In order to use idevicerestore you need the latest git master usbmuxd due to the current usbmuxd not being able to handle the mode changes (from normal mode to recovery mode to restore mode etc.) very well leading to the segfault you see.

    You do not need to pass "-c" unless it is a custom ipsw created with PwnageTool.

    Using the "ideviceenterrecovery" tool, you should also be able to place your iPod into recovery mode (the one with the iTunes plug screen) and then use idevicerestore. Otherwise you might need to start idevicerestore once to get it into recovery mode, then if it crashes, simply retry again once it is in recovery mode.

    Another thing might be that iOS 1.1.5 had a different method to enter recovery mode which does not work.

    Thus you might have to do it manually by turning the device off, then pressing the power button to switch it on and immediately hold the home button until the iTunes plug comes up. Don't worry, meanwhile we are able to enter any mode and switch between them. ;)

  • csoler

    csoler July 12th, 2010 @ 01:05 PM

    I'm using the latest git snapshot from here: http://github.com/posixninja/idevicerestore.git

    I got the info in the README file, and compiled/installed libirecovery and usbmuxd. I got a problem with this usbmuxd which did not recognize my ipod, although the already installed version did. No idea why. It might be about the udev rules for the original usbmuxd that would catch the usb.

    If I followed correctly, I should be able to do the update this way:

    ideviceenterrecory
    idevicerestore -d [my ipsw file]

    How do I get back to normal mode then ?

    Note: It took me some time to find out what the installer of usbmuxd had modified (/lib/udev/rules.d/85-usbmuxd.rules, actually) to be able to restore the old one, as the "make uninstall" does not, so my PC would not see my ipod after I uninstalled this version of usbmuxd.

    Thanks

  • Martin S.

    Martin S. July 26th, 2010 @ 12:43 PM

    In any situation, if you want to return to normal mode, simply connect to the device in recovery or any other mode using the tool "irecovery" which is provided by libirecovery. Then type "setenv auto-boot true", confirm with enter, "saveenv", confirm with enter and finally write "reboot". The device will reboot and try to boot the installed iOS instead of directly entering recovery mode again.

    Also mind that idevicerestore is pretty much WIP. While it works, it probably requires a lot of manual interaction and knowledge with the irecovery tool as of now due to some Linux specific issues we are trying to work out yet.

    Your best bet is to use the following repositories and branches for latest fixes:
    http://cgit.sukimashita.com/libirecovery.git/log/?h=martin
    http://cgit.sukimashita.com/idevicerestore.git/log/?h=martin

    To verify what is wrong for you we should investigate in your initial problem.

    "ideviceenterrecovery" should bring your device into said mode, if it fails to work, run it with the "-d" (debug) option and post the output here so we can see what is going on.

  • Martin S.

    Martin S. March 26th, 2011 @ 10:13 AM

    • State changed from “open” to “hold”

    Setting on hold due to no further feedback since a bunch of time.
    Feel free to reopen if you still encounter the issue.

Please Sign in or create a free account to add a new ticket.

With your very own profile, you can contribute to projects, track your activity, watch tickets, receive and update tickets through your email and much more.

New-ticket Create new ticket

Create your profile

Help contribute to this project by taking a few moments to create your personal profile. Create your profile »

A project around supporting the iPhone in Linux.

See http://libimobiledevice.org

People watching this ticket

Pages