#134 ✓invalid
gab1to

iPhone 3GS does not appear on Ubuntu 10.04

Reported by gab1to | May 5th, 2010 @ 11:27 PM

Ok, Ubuntu 10.04 it's supposed to give support to iPhone 3GS out of the box. Well not in my case. I used to sync my iPhone in Ubuntu 9.10 with this guide: http://www.webupd8.org/2010/01/easy-way-to-sync-your-iphone-with.html.
It was working perfectly until I upgraded.
Now when I connect the iPhone it beeps twice and it doesn't show on the desktop. I can't even mount it.
Well I thought it was because I upgraded so I did a fresh install. After a fresh install BOOM, the same problem.
So I tried to follow the same guide and theres no way I cant mount it. Here are some details:

iPhone firmware : 3.1
Jailbreak

$ lsusb Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 05ac:7777 Apple, Inc.
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

$ dmesg | tail [ 2165.524800] sd 2:0:0:0: rejecting I/O to offline device [ 2165.524812] sd 2:0:0:0: rejecting I/O to offline device [ 2165.524822] sd 2:0:0:0: [sdb] READ CAPACITY failed [ 2165.524827] sd 2:0:0:0: [sdb] Result: hostbyte=DID_NO_CONNECT driverbyte=DRIVER_OK [ 2165.524837] sd 2:0:0:0: [sdb] Sense not available. [ 2165.524848] sd 2:0:0:0: rejecting I/O to offline device [ 2165.524859] sd 2:0:0:0: [sdb] Write Protect is off [ 2165.524866] sd 2:0:0:0: [sdb] Mode Sense: 00 00 00 00 [ 2165.524872] sd 2:0:0:0: [sdb] Assuming drive cache: write through [ 2165.525150] sd 2:0:0:0: [sdb] Attached SCSI removable disk

$ ps ax |grep usbmusx 1799 pts/1 S+ 0:00 grep --color=auto usbmusx $ idevice_id -l usbmuxd_get_device_list: error opening socket!
ERROR: Unable to retrieve device list!
$ ideviceinfo usbmuxd_get_device_list: error opening socket!
No device found, is it plugged in?
$ apt-cache show gvfs |grep Version Version: 1.6.0+git20100414-0ubuntu1
$ ldd /usr/lib/gvfs/gvfsd-afc |grep libimobiledevice

libimobiledevice.so.0 => /usr/lib/libimobiledevice.so.0 (0x00427000)

If I try using iFuse this is what I get:
$ ifuse /mnt/ipod usbmuxd_get_device_list: error opening socket!
No device found, is it connected?
If it is make sure that your user has permissions to access the raw usb device.
If you're still having issues try unplugging the device and reconnecting it.

This is getting me crazy, I really want your help. Please help me. Thx

Comments and changes to this ticket

  • Martin S.

    Martin S. May 6th, 2010 @ 03:20 PM

    • State changed from “new” to “open”

    Please disconnect the device, kill all usbmuxd instances and run "sudo usbmuxd -f -v".
    Then connect your device and post the output here.

  • gab1to

    gab1to May 6th, 2010 @ 04:09 PM

    Ok this is the output:

    $ sudo usbmuxd -f -v [12:05:06.962][3] usbmuxd v1.0.0 starting up [12:05:06.963][4] Creating socket [12:05:06.963][4] Initializing USB [12:05:06.964][4] 0 devices detected [12:05:06.964][3] Initialization complete [12:05:07.908][4] New client on fd 8

  • Martin S.

    Martin S. May 6th, 2010 @ 05:38 PM

    • State changed from “open” to “invalid”
    • Assigned user set to “Martin S.”

    Ok, I just noticed what is wrong. Your USB product id is totally screwed: Bus 001 Device 002: ID 05ac:7777 Apple, Inc.

    This is a change from the "USB Drive" tool available from Cydia which sets the product id to 7777 after a reboot to emulate a mass storage device interface.
    In this mode neither iTunes nor libimobiledevice are able to communicate with the device.

    Thus marking the bug as invalid.

    Please fix your device product id by changing to "default mode" using the "USB Drive" software from Cydia then things will work again.
    If this is not the cause of your issue feel free to reopen the bug and supply more information about your device that can lead to understand why it has a product id of 7777.

  • gab1to

    gab1to May 6th, 2010 @ 10:58 PM

    Awesome, thx for the help. I completely forgot about that. I use an app called USB drive in Cydia and change this setting and I completely forgot about that. Now I can sync my iPhone like before.

    And yes, thx for marking this invalid.

  • chriswho

    chriswho May 16th, 2010 @ 06:42 AM

    I'm having a similar problem...

    After upgrading, I get this message when trying to copy music to my iPhone, running 3.1.2 firmware...

    "Error while getting peer-to-peer dbus connection: The name :1.163 was not provided by any .service files"

    I tried the solution above, but it did not work for me since I don't use "USB Drive".

Please Sign in or create a free account to add a new ticket.

With your very own profile, you can contribute to projects, track your activity, watch tickets, receive and update tickets through your email and much more.

New-ticket Create new ticket

Create your profile

Help contribute to this project by taking a few moments to create your personal profile. Create your profile »

A project around supporting the iPhone in Linux.

See http://libimobiledevice.org

People watching this ticket

Pages